Springville First United Methodist Church
Sunday, September 24, 2017

History

Empowered by the Holy Spirit, we carry on that same work that we were founded upon: inviting people to Christ and growing people in Christ.
 

130+ years

Springville First United Methodist Church was founded in 1871, when the Rev. R.F. Mountain, a Methodist pastor, serving the Ashville Methodist Episcopal Church, South, led a protracted revival meeting at the Springville Baptist Church. As an outgrowth of that event, twelve people banded together calling themselves the Springville Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Rev. Mountain became their pastor. The church built a sanctuary in 1899, which later burned in 1981. The 1899 sanctuary was located in the courtyard area across the street from the present sanctuary location. In 1983, the church constructed the present sanctuary. A bell tower and Christian Education Building were completed in 1987. The newest addition was a multi-purpose Christian Life Center, which was ready for use in early 2003.

The church continues the legacy and vitality of Rev. R.F. Mountain and the early leaders of Springville Methodism. Over one hundred and thirty years ago, the Methodist Church was birthed in Springville through the work of the Holy Spirit. Today, we too, empowered by the Holy Spirit, carry on that same work of "Inviting people to Christ, Growing people in Christ."